header image

Annotated Bibliography

Gmetana, Judith G. , Killen, Melanie, Turiel, Elliot. “Children’s Reasoning about

Interpersonal and Moral Conflicts.” Child Development 62.3 (1991): 629-644. JSTOR. Web. 23 Nov. 2011.

In this article, the authors conducted studies to determine how children make judgments about interpersonal relations and justice in a conflicting situation. The children had a mean age of nine, eleven, and fifteen years old. They were placed in separate groups and were asked questions based on a story read to them. The end results “demonstrated that across development, concerns with justice and interpersonal relationships coexist in judgments of male and female children, and that the ways they are applied depend on the situation” (629). The authors then go on to argue that, “Interpersonal and moral considerations are important aspects of social interactions that can be in conflict…it is recognized that persons in close relationships (e.g., friends, family) have special obligations to each other.” (629). Referring back to my chosen short story, I would like to get her point of view throughout all this. The story is narrated through the doctor’s point of view, but the young girl in the story never talks, only her actions and characteristics are depicted. If her point of view could be addressed, then maybe the reader would have a chance at understanding where she is coming from and why she behaves the way she does. This article would benefit my project because it gives the reader an alternative point of view, since she is young and a female, there is a major difference that can be noted between her and the doctor.

Heathwood, Chris. “Philosphical Studies: An International Journal for Philosphy in the

Analytic Tradition.” The Reduction of Sensory Pleasure to Desire 133.1 (2007): 23-44. JSTOR. Web. 23 Nov. 2011.

In Heathwood’s article, he discusses the different kinds of connections between pleasure and desire. Heathwood also mentions the leading approaches to how one achieves desire through pleasure and the motivation behind it. Heathwood brings up an interesting point,  “The concept of pleasure plays an important role in many areas of normative ethics: axiology, welfare, rationality, moral obligation. We cannot hope fully to understand many important theses in these areas until we understand what pleasure is” (24). One of the key words I’d like to point out is “moral obligation.” Referring to my short story, I question if the doctor felt as if it was his moral obligation to go through such excessive force to get what he wanted, or if he was blinded by the pleasure he was achieving.  Heathwood further strengthens his point when he states, “In other words, pleasure and pain must be commensurable. A desire theory of pleasure and pain can deliver commensurability. This is because, according to it, pleasure is reducible to desire and pain to aversion, or desiring not; and desiring is commensurable with desiring not” (25). This quote seems to give some validity to my question above. If in fact, the doctor was achieving pleasure because of the pain he was inflicting on the young girl, then this article would be extremely useful to my project. One of the main questions I would like to address of my short story is, is it ethical to feel pleasure out of someone’s pain?

Van der Grijp, Paul. “Why Accept Submission? Rethinking Asymmetrical Ideology

and Power.” Dialectical Anthropology 35.2(2011): 13-31. Web. 23 Nov.  2011.

Van der Grijp’s article focuses on the topic of ideology and power. He pinpoints people’s reactions and actions towards certain instances in life. He also incorporates how politicians, business, and church people create similar imaginative stories to hide behind, which is created by the human mind.  Van der Grijp states,    “I define power as the ability of a person or group to influence and change the decisions and conduct of other persons or groups” (18). This ties in smoothly with my short story, which is narrated from a doctor’s point of view and his struggle with a young girl to open her mouth to examine her. As Grijp stated previously, power is the doctor’s ability, which allows him to go through great lengths to get the young girl to open her mouth, although he uses forceful techniques. The parents of the young girl have no choice but to stay and watch, because of the doctors’ power and influence in the room. Grijp also argues, “Power is certainly not the only aspect of social life; however, it is an aspect that accompanies and penetrates all social relationships”(18). Power is an important aspect that many gain to achieve in their lifetime. This source would be useful to my project because it incorporates a part of the theme that I am questioning- Does power and submissions argue against each other? Or does it cohesively go hand in hand?