header image

Glossary of Terms

1) Climax: arranging words in order of increasing importance.
BiebersBoa Johnson wrote:
I need to tell you something really important. Me & Chuck Norris are having a little kid, he’s called #chuckbieber 😉
In this tweet, the person is writing her words in a specific sequence to lead up to her main objective, or the main “punch line” of the story which is that the speaker and Chuck Norris are going to have a baby.
________________________________________________________________________________________
2) Apostrophe- Addresses directly a person or personified thing, either present or abstract.
MTV MTV wrote: “The good ones are either gay or married.
In this tweet, the speaker is addressing the audience, who are the reader. This speaker is addressing directly a person.
3) Personification- giving inanimate objects human characteristics.
puregold01 Wuraola Osode wrote: You swallowed me and spit me out, for hating you I blame myself but not anymore.
In this tweet, the speaker uses personification. They do this by personifying a person that “swallowed me and spit me out.” No human being can physically swallow someone and spit them out.
4) Hyperbole- an extreme exaggeration
This tweet also uses a hyperbole. The speaker does this because the tweet is an extreme exaggeration. It’s to show how hurt they were, and what emotional abuse they had to go through. However, it is not literal and therefore can also be viewed as a hyperbole.
5) Anadiplosis- repeats the last word of a phrase, clause at the beginning of the next.
MrWizKhaIifa Wiz Khalifa – #ThingsPeopleDoThatGetMeMad Cheat on Me, Lie to Me, Steal from Me, Act like a FAKE Friend. Friends Ask me for Money or a Ride, Talk bad about God.
This tweet uses anadiplosis because they repeat the word “friend” in the first sentence and last sentence.
6) polysydeton- the use of a conjunction between each phrase.
1DIrishTeam Allie- My biggest worry about getting the tickets online is if it like freezes and I end up with none and I let all my friends down.
This tweet uses polysydeton because the speaker uses the word “and” twice in a sentence as a conjunction.
7) pleonasm- using more words than required to express and idea; being redundant.
LibertyBelle4 Jodi – Pick targets wisely. Have a real goal. An actual outcome. Venting doesn’t really do us a whole lot of good. *shrug* I’m just saying.
This tweet uses pleonasm because instead of keeping the sentence short and sweet, the speaker goes on to repeat herself saying the same thing, but using just different words.
Essay on rhetorical sophistication used in twitter:
                      When one thinks of Twitter, one does not immediately think of using figurative language devices. If one looks more closely though, one will find that Twitter subscribers use a range of figurative language devices to describe either current events, their current mood, or whatever is happening at that moment. The subscriber may not even realize that they are using these devices, which makes their tweet more raw and analytical, because it was not purposely placed. After close examination, I believe that Twitter is a site full of rhetorical sophistication- the users just are not aware of it yet.
                     One of the more popular figurative language devices used on twitter is hyperbole. Hyperbole is a form of extreme exaggeration. For example,
puregold01 Wuraola Osode wrote: “You swallowed me and spit me out, for hating you I blame myself but not anymore.”
This sentence can be viewed as using a hyperbole because it is one of imaginative exaggeration. The writer did not literally get “swallowed and spit out…” However, they emotionally feel that they have been somewhat taken advantage of which leads them to feel hate towards this person. Instead of writing a simple, “I hate you,” the writer uses an imagery approach to let the reader truly feel what they have felt. In this tweet, there is more than one figurative language used. Another figurative language device used is personification, which is giving inanimate objects human characteristics. The write does this by personifying a person that “swallowed me and spit me out.” No human being can physically swallow someone and spit them out. However, once again, it is a great way to let the reader emotionally connect with the writer.
                     Another frequent device used in Twitter is anadiplosis which is repeating the last word of a phrase and/or clause at the beginning of the next.
MrWizKhaIifa Wiz Khalifa wrote -” #ThingsPeopleDoThatGetMeMad Cheat on Me, Lie to Me, Steal from Me, Act like a FAKE Friend. Friends Ask me for Money or a Ride, Talk bad about God.”
This tweet uses anadiplosis because they repeat the word “friend” in the first sentence and use it in the last sentence as well. This is used to show a more direct emphasis on what the main issue is at hand. The writer wants the reader to know what makes him mad. One of the things that make him mad is his friends and how they treat him and others around him.
Similar to anadiplosis is polysydeton which is the use of a conjunction between each phrase. A tweet I found that has polysydeton is :
1DIrishTeam Allie- “My biggest worry about getting the tickets online is if it like freezes and I end up with none and I let all my friends down.”
This tweet uses polysydeton because the speaker uses the word “and” twice in a sentence as a conjunction. Another example would be, “I want this, and this, and this.”
                     After some research, I would have to conclude that Twitter is one of rhetorical sophistication. One would have to examine each tweet carefully however in order to reach that conclusion. A downfall of this is that Twitter is very chaotic and just bursting with tweets non stop. There is no filter or organization, so it may distract some people from the real meaning of the upcoming tweets. But if one takes the time to read “in between the lines” of the tweets, then they will realize the different figurative language devices used and appreciate the tweet- more than before.